Parcel2go and Hermes Overweight Parcel “Extra Payment Required” Rip Off.

Have you had the “Extra Payment Required” email from Parcel2Go?

As online sellers, we access the services of Hermes/myHermes sometimes direct, and sometimes through parcel2go.com – depending which platform we are booking from.

Years ago, everyone used to book everything at 0.99kgs and anything up to about 3kgs would go through without a hitch. That was never going to last.

In the last 18 months, Hermes have started routinely weighing everything, so weights must be accurate. No big deal and not rocket science to make sure which band your parcel falls into, right?

We only use Parcel2Go/Hermes for low value parcels (things you can afford to lose) under two kilos. So there are two bands: 0 – 1kg and 1 – 2kg.

We use digital mail scales, so we know our weights are right. Thus we know that we are booking the correct weight band.

So here is what happens. About once a week, sometimes twice a week, we get this email:

Dear [customer name],Thank you for booking with us and using Hermes to send your parcel.

Unfortunately, Hermes have informed us that your parcel weighed/measured more than was declared when it was booked on our website. The parcel was declared as 1.00kg (20 x 20 x 20), however the actual weight/dimensions are 1.10kg (20 x 20 x 20).

We understand mistakes can be made and we operate tolerances to allow for small mistakes, however due to the size of this discrepancy, we unfortunately need to charge for this misdeclaration.

Also, due to the increased cost in processing misdeclarations, which include identifying and weighing the parcel, an additional handling charge of £2.50 is included in the underpayment total.

The total underpayment due is £ 3.49 + VAT. You can pay this charge now via the link below or find it in your basket and pay it the next time you check out with us.

Occasionally human error happens, so those of us who send many parcels will expect to make the odd mistake and have this bite us in the arse.

However, I have noticed a pattern here.

It only seems to happen with the under 1kg band with parcels that are over 900g in weight, but under the 1kg threshold. The weight they say they are is always 1.1kgs.

If your parcel was not in fact overweight, how can you prove it? The answer is you cant, because they have your parcel, and Parcel2Go/Hermes have you over a barrel here.

We got another one of these a few days ago, so on the basis that the staff will start having deductions for these “errors” if they continue, I decided to investigate this one.

Using the P2G number, I traced the order, looked at what the item sent was (an item in standard retail packaging that we sell) and weighed another one. Better than that, I took another from our pending orders, taped it myself and added a label. The weight? 975g. I checked the weight stored on our system: 975g. I checked the manufacturers declared weight: 950g. So the 25g is tape and label.

The staff routinely weigh each and every Parcel2Go item because they are aware of this issue. On the day in question, everything that went out was checked.

This means our parcel was NOT overweight.

Dyson Spare Parts

This probably means none of our parcels were ever overweight since the “Extra Payment Required” emails started arriving.

This smells to me like a quiet little scam by either Parcel2Go or Hermes.

But as we also use Hermes directly, and don’t get these penalties from Hermes directly, it would appear that this is generated at Parcel2Go – but we cannot be sure.

What I can be sure of is Parcel2Go have extracted by now several hundred pounds out of me with this little scam.

For “overweight” parcels that I reckon were nothing of the sort.

So what to do?

Well, here is the problem with Parcel2Go and Hermes. You get what your pay for. Its a cheap service. This means zero competent customer service of any description.

Both organisatons are set up to dissuade you from contacting anyone if something goes wrong. Daft email support (copy and paste replies) and dire “live help” that will have your dripping in cobwebs by the time you get anywhere.

Try and do a claim for a lost/stolen/misdelivered/undelivered item and you will see what I mean. If you have a spare few hours, you may eventually get your money back. The system is designed so you cant be bothered and will write their mistakes off.

Sure you can email “concerns@parcel2go.com” but nothing will happen. When faced with facts and logic, they will simply stop replying.

Customer service is not a hallmark of either Parcel2Go or Hermes – both are totally chronic in this regard. The fact is they simply don’t give a shit – they only want your money.

I estimate that between this “Extra Payment Required” scam and the few items that are stolen, lost, delivered wrongly or not at all, we will have issues with up to 5% of Hermes bookings.

Its probably time for us to start using a better courier or continue to self-indemnify against their mistakes as there are not enough hours in the day to chase them for losses and dishonesty.

So why is this out here?

I wanted to get this out here because I want to see if anyone else has had enough of being overcharged in this way by Parcel2Go and how big a scale this is happening on.

Parcel2Go and/or Hermes might be clawing quite a lot of money in from this little racket. And a racket is what I believe it is.

Parcel2Go will not even engage with us on the subject of the “Extra Payment Required” subject – despite our trying – they just keep charging us for it.

I suspect it isn’t only happening to us. I suspect there are other sellers out there writing off a fiver once or twice a week, assuming they or their staff made a mistake. Again. But deep down they cannot see how. And they will Google and land here……..

If this is happening to you, please use the comment box below to say so. thumbs

Be Sociable, Share!

This entry was posted in Selling Online and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

69 Responses to Parcel2go and Hermes Overweight Parcel “Extra Payment Required” Rip Off.

1. bob says:

I have all ways used collect plus and have never had this problem even when I know the parcel is over the limit

2. Dave says:

Just had my 3rd one of these. I sent an empty flightcase in a strong plastic bag plus some bubble wrap. The manufacturer’s website quotes a net weight of approx 5kg, which is what I declared to parcel2go…..they now claim it weighed 6.1kg so it must have been very heavy bubble wrap that I used!! I smell a scam myself to generate additional revenue…

3. Lucy says:

Totally agree. Using parcel2go and shipping via Landmark, I posted item weighing less than 2lbs and they sent me letter that it weighed 2kgs!!! Disputed and they are letting me off as a gesture of goodwill. What a scam.

4. Cavey says:

How did you dispute this? They don’t have an email address and I refuse to do this via fbook. As the email they sent can’t be replied to I am ignoring them. Anyone been taken to court by them?

5. Editor says:

They’ll not take you to court. Just dont use the same email/log in with them again.

6. Andrew Jones says:

I have used Hermes directly 14 times with no problem, this week I sold a small thin item, I know it was close to the length limit of 45cms, but by careful packing I got it down to 42cms, but they claim it was 50cms!, their measurement is very suspect as I also know the width was less than 20, but they claim 35cms. Clearly a complete scam. I keep photo’s of what I have sent. I will now keep photo’s of parcel against tape measure.
    Clearly a scam.
    Not sure they have anyway of taking the money directly from my Paypal, or do they?

7. Amjad Hadadi says:

Andrew Jones I feel for you mate…I am in exactly the situation as yourself. Have used myhermes for 4 years… Never had a problem… Twice this week the have imposed a £4.20 penalty ontop of what I have already paid per parcel. I have remeasured the item and it nowhere near the sizes they have stated. Help! This is bang out of order… Can anything be done about this?

8. Mark says:

I get these emails direct from Hermes, everytime I send parcels out, usually once a week, I get at least 1in every 4 parcels, after being very annoyed I weighed everything twice and even wrote the exact weight on the box in big writing, how odd that the next day I get an email from Hermes saying your parcel was overweight, the item in question weighed 3.7kg and they are saying it was 6.1kg, that’s one hell of an error on my part when everything is weighed twice.
    I won’t be using them again and I won’t be paying them either.

9. Louise Cubbage says:

I have just had the same october 31 2017 and I think it is a scam will be calling weights and measures because I know it was not over weight ! cant prove it but will not use parcel to go any more and I suggest we all do the same

10. James Halliday says:

It’s just started happening with my account too. Twice in about 4 weeks. I am 100% the dimensions and weight were accurate, I err on the side of caution and over state all the figures anyway so I am not having it. This week’s excess charge is £9.50 plus VAT. I‎t is outrageous.

11. Amjad Hadadi says:

Hi Guys

After many correspondences and inconvenience caused and time wasted I managed to get a response saying they have cancelled a £4.20 invoice and refunded me £4.20 and have accepted these invoices were incorrect.Will advise if they are sending you pentaly charges for being overweight when you are not it’s a ‘contract breach’ from hermes. I was fortunate to have evidence to prove them wrong. This definitely needs to brought to light with watch dog and trading standards and everyone should stop using fraud Hermes service.

Hope everyone in this situation has courage to reclaim their money back.

I have gone back to using Royal Mail as there no overweight issues as all parcels are weighed before you pay.

12. Katrina says:

Sent a parcel to the USA with these jokers, weight was 2.85kg, just had an underpayment email for £42.45 as they claim the parcel weighs 8.65kg! We use digital scales so know we was right but can’t prove it. The email says you can click link to pay it or next time you log in it will be in your basket. Thinking it was a scam I logged in separately rather than clicking link and nothing in basket? Is it a scam? Worried parcel maybe held even though the tracking says it’s in transit. What would you do? Thanks

13. Paul Seymour says:

Just had one of my own. Its been 10 months or so since the last one.
    The item was a book to the US. Sent via P2G.
    0.99 Kilos. OCS via P2G supposedly claims it weighs 1.66 kilos?
    Its a book the size of a modern hardback.
    We have postal calibrated scales here. No way is the parcel over weight.
    It amounts to extortion.

14. Steve says:

Hmm, I suspected mine may be overweight 2.5k instead of 2kg and fined 2.5 x the original cost…..Now I could do the honorable thing and just pay up but they have already delivered it, so what they gonna do, bring it back?

15. Andrew says:

Interesting reading. Here’s my recent experience with Parcel2Go.

I sent a parcel to Japan. Fully insured the cost was pretty steep at £129 but this was an expensive guitar. The delivery went well and arrived it safely. I then get a request for an additional £74 as my parcel was “significantly” overweight.

I had weighed it myself at 11.2Kg and rounded it up to 12Kg for the quote.

UPS apparently said it weighed 30.5Kg. Yep, 2.7 times the actual weight.

I asked for evidence as this was impossible but was told by Parcel2Go that unfortunately I was guilty as charged and the onus was on me to prove it was the weight I quoted.

When I challenged further they came back and said actually it was a sizing issue and that I had declared incorrect measurements: I had measured it at 138cm x 61cm x 16cm but UPS had measured the box now it was suddenly 138cm x 61cm x 18cm and they looked forward to receiving my £74.00 unless I had photographic evidence to the contrary.

I know what I weighed and I know what what I measured [I ship guitars all the time] and this just feels like a huge scam where Parcel2Go can send an invoice for 58% of the value of the shipment with absolutely no substantiating evidence whatsoever.

I haven’t paid and will happily present my side of events in any Court.

It’s a Net Recommender score on -10 from me, I’m afraid!

16. Antony says:

I have had the same as most that P2G say “my dimensions were wrong” I owe them £40 plus £2.50 admin cost. The parcel has been delivered so they can go whistle. Totally illegal sending invoices with no hard evidence of the “new dimensions” BYE BYE P2G!

17. Alex says:

I have just had a request for ‘overweight’ surcharge from P2G/Hermes.
    I send very few parcels but I think the last but one that I sent also attracted a surcharge for allegedly being over-dimensioned.
    I know how to use a tape measure and usually over estimate on the weight to be on the safe side, so I certainly smell a rat.
    I won’t be use P2G or Hermes again, that’s for sure, and will let them know in no uncertain terms.

18. Nicola says:

They want an extra £49.20+vat for a parcel I declared at 4kgamf they’ve weighed it at just under 10kg!! I’m furious but I don’t know what to do about it

19. Editor says: