Parcel2go and Hermes Overweight Parcel “Extra Payment Required” Rip Off.

Have you had the “Extra Payment Required” email from Parcel2Go?

As online sellers, we access the services of Hermes/myHermes sometimes direct, and sometimes through parcel2go.com – depending which platform we are booking from.

Years ago, everyone used to book everything at 0.99kgs and anything up to about 3kgs would go through without a hitch. That was never going to last.

In the last 18 months, Hermes have started routinely weighing everything, so weights must be accurate. No big deal and not rocket science to make sure which band your parcel falls into, right?

We only use Parcel2Go/Hermes for low value parcels (things you can afford to lose) under two kilos. So there are two bands: 0 – 1kg and 1 – 2kg.

We use digital mail scales, so we know our weights are right. Thus we know that we are booking the correct weight band.

So here is what happens. About once a week, sometimes twice a week, we get this email:

Dear [customer name],Thank you for booking with us and using Hermes to send your parcel.

Unfortunately, Hermes have informed us that your parcel weighed/measured more than was declared when it was booked on our website. The parcel was declared as 1.00kg (20 x 20 x 20), however the actual weight/dimensions are 1.10kg (20 x 20 x 20).

We understand mistakes can be made and we operate tolerances to allow for small mistakes, however due to the size of this discrepancy, we unfortunately need to charge for this misdeclaration.

Also, due to the increased cost in processing misdeclarations, which include identifying and weighing the parcel, an additional handling charge of £2.50 is included in the underpayment total.

The total underpayment due is £ 3.49 + VAT. You can pay this charge now via the link below or find it in your basket and pay it the next time you check out with us.

Occasionally human error happens, so those of us who send many parcels will expect to make the odd mistake and have this bite us in the arse.

However, I have noticed a pattern here.

It only seems to happen with the under 1kg band with parcels that are over 900g in weight, but under the 1kg threshold. The weight they say they are is always 1.1kgs.

If your parcel was not in fact overweight, how can you prove it? The answer is you cant, because they have your parcel, and Parcel2Go/Hermes have you over a barrel here.

We got another one of these a few days ago, so on the basis that the staff will start having deductions for these “errors” if they continue, I decided to investigate this one.

Using the P2G number, I traced the order, looked at what the item sent was (an item in standard retail packaging that we sell) and weighed another one. Better than that, I took another from our pending orders, taped it myself and added a label. The weight? 975g. I checked the weight stored on our system: 975g. I checked the manufacturers declared weight: 950g. So the 25g is tape and label.

The staff routinely weigh each and every Parcel2Go item because they are aware of this issue. On the day in question, everything that went out was checked.

This means our parcel was NOT overweight.

Dyson Spare Parts

This probably means none of our parcels were ever overweight since the “Extra Payment Required” emails started arriving.

This smells to me like a quiet little scam by either Parcel2Go or Hermes.

But as we also use Hermes directly, and don’t get these penalties from Hermes directly, it would appear that this is generated at Parcel2Go – but we cannot be sure.

What I can be sure of is Parcel2Go have extracted by now several hundred pounds out of me with this little scam.

For “overweight” parcels that I reckon were nothing of the sort.

So what to do?

Well, here is the problem with Parcel2Go and Hermes. You get what your pay for. Its a cheap service. This means zero competent customer service of any description.

Both organisatons are set up to dissuade you from contacting anyone if something goes wrong. Daft email support (copy and paste replies) and dire “live help” that will have your dripping in cobwebs by the time you get anywhere.

Try and do a claim for a lost/stolen/misdelivered/undelivered item and you will see what I mean. If you have a spare few hours, you may eventually get your money back. The system is designed so you cant be bothered and will write their mistakes off.

Sure you can email “concerns@parcel2go.com” but nothing will happen. When faced with facts and logic, they will simply stop replying.

Customer service is not a hallmark of either Parcel2Go or Hermes – both are totally chronic in this regard. The fact is they simply don’t give a shit – they only want your money.

I estimate that between this “Extra Payment Required” scam and the few items that are stolen, lost, delivered wrongly or not at all, we will have issues with up to 5% of Hermes bookings.

Its probably time for us to start using a better courier or continue to self-indemnify against their mistakes as there are not enough hours in the day to chase them for losses and dishonesty.

So why is this out here?

I wanted to get this out here because I want to see if anyone else has had enough of being overcharged in this way by Parcel2Go and how big a scale this is happening on.

Parcel2Go and/or Hermes might be clawing quite a lot of money in from this little racket. And a racket is what I believe it is.

Parcel2Go will not even engage with us on the subject of the “Extra Payment Required” subject – despite our trying – they just keep charging us for it.

I suspect it isn’t only happening to us. I suspect there are other sellers out there writing off a fiver once or twice a week, assuming they or their staff made a mistake. Again. But deep down they cannot see how. And they will Google and land here……..

If this is happening to you, please use the comment box below to say so. thumbs

Be Sociable, Share!

This entry was posted in Selling Online and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

88 Responses to Parcel2go and Hermes Overweight Parcel “Extra Payment Required” Rip Off.

1. bob says:

I have all ways used collect plus and have never had this problem even when I know the parcel is over the limit

2. Dave says:

Just had my 3rd one of these. I sent an empty flightcase in a strong plastic bag plus some bubble wrap. The manufacturer’s website quotes a net weight of approx 5kg, which is what I declared to parcel2go…..they now claim it weighed 6.1kg so it must have been very heavy bubble wrap that I used!! I smell a scam myself to generate additional revenue…

3. Lucy says:

Totally agree. Using parcel2go and shipping via Landmark, I posted item weighing less than 2lbs and they sent me letter that it weighed 2kgs!!! Disputed and they are letting me off as a gesture of goodwill. What a scam.

4. Cavey says:

How did you dispute this? They don’t have an email address and I refuse to do this via fbook. As the email they sent can’t be replied to I am ignoring them. Anyone been taken to court by them?

5. Editor says:

They’ll not take you to court. Just dont use the same email/log in with them again.

6. Andrew Jones says:

I have used Hermes directly 14 times with no problem, this week I sold a small thin item, I know it was close to the length limit of 45cms, but by careful packing I got it down to 42cms, but they claim it was 50cms!, their measurement is very suspect as I also know the width was less than 20, but they claim 35cms. Clearly a complete scam. I keep photo’s of what I have sent. I will now keep photo’s of parcel against tape measure.
    Clearly a scam.
    Not sure they have anyway of taking the money directly from my Paypal, or do they?

7. Amjad Hadadi says:

Andrew Jones I feel for you mate…I am in exactly the situation as yourself. Have used myhermes for 4 years… Never had a problem… Twice this week the have imposed a £4.20 penalty ontop of what I have already paid per parcel. I have remeasured the item and it nowhere near the sizes they have stated. Help! This is bang out of order… Can anything be done about this?

8. Mark says:

I get these emails direct from Hermes, everytime I send parcels out, usually once a week, I get at least 1in every 4 parcels, after being very annoyed I weighed everything twice and even wrote the exact weight on the box in big writing, how odd that the next day I get an email from Hermes saying your parcel was overweight, the item in question weighed 3.7kg and they are saying it was 6.1kg, that’s one hell of an error on my part when everything is weighed twice.
    I won’t be using them again and I won’t be paying them either.

9. Louise Cubbage says:

I have just had the same october 31 2017 and I think it is a scam will be calling weights and measures because I know it was not over weight ! cant prove it but will not use parcel to go any more and I suggest we all do the same

10. James Halliday says:

It’s just started happening with my account too. Twice in about 4 weeks. I am 100% the dimensions and weight were accurate, I err on the side of caution and over state all the figures anyway so I am not having it. This week’s excess charge is £9.50 plus VAT. I‎t is outrageous.

11. Amjad Hadadi says:

Hi Guys

After many correspondences and inconvenience caused and time wasted I managed to get a response saying they have cancelled a £4.20 invoice and refunded me £4.20 and have accepted these invoices were incorrect.Will advise if they are sending you pentaly charges for being overweight when you are not it’s a ‘contract breach’ from hermes. I was fortunate to have evidence to prove them wrong. This definitely needs to brought to light with watch dog and trading standards and everyone should stop using fraud Hermes service.

Hope everyone in this situation has courage to reclaim their money back.

I have gone back to using Royal Mail as there no overweight issues as all parcels are weighed before you pay.

12. Katrina says:

Sent a parcel to the USA with these jokers, weight was 2.85kg, just had an underpayment email for £42.45 as they claim the parcel weighs 8.65kg! We use digital scales so know we was right but can’t prove it. The email says you can click link to pay it or next time you log in it will be in your basket. Thinking it was a scam I logged in separately rather than clicking link and nothing in basket? Is it a scam? Worried parcel maybe held even though the tracking says it’s in transit. What would you do? Thanks

13. Paul Seymour says:

Just had one of my own. Its been 10 months or so since the last one.
    The item was a book to the US. Sent via P2G.
    0.99 Kilos. OCS via P2G supposedly claims it weighs 1.66 kilos?
    Its a book the size of a modern hardback.
    We have postal calibrated scales here. No way is the parcel over weight.
    It amounts to extortion.

14. Steve says:

Hmm, I suspected mine may be overweight 2.5k instead of 2kg and fined 2.5 x the original cost…..Now I could do the honorable thing and just pay up but they have already delivered it, so what they gonna do, bring it back?

15. Andrew says:

Interesting reading. Here’s my recent experience with Parcel2Go.

I sent a parcel to Japan. Fully insured the cost was pretty steep at £129 but this was an expensive guitar. The delivery went well and arrived it safely. I then get a request for an additional £74 as my parcel was “significantly” overweight.

I had weighed it myself at 11.2Kg and rounded it up to 12Kg for the quote.

UPS apparently said it weighed 30.5Kg. Yep, 2.7 times the actual weight.

I asked for evidence as this was impossible but was told by Parcel2Go that unfortunately I was guilty as charged and the onus was on me to prove it was the weight I quoted.

When I challenged further they came back and said actually it was a sizing issue and that I had declared incorrect measurements: I had measured it at 138cm x 61cm x 16cm but UPS had measured the box now it was suddenly 138cm x 61cm x 18cm and they looked forward to receiving my £74.00 unless I had photographic evidence to the contrary.

I know what I weighed and I know what what I measured [I ship guitars all the time] and this just feels like a huge scam where Parcel2Go can send an invoice for 58% of the value of the shipment with absolutely no substantiating evidence whatsoever.

I haven’t paid and will happily present my side of events in any Court.

It’s a Net Recommender score on -10 from me, I’m afraid!

16. Antony says:

I have had the same as most that P2G say “my dimensions were wrong” I owe them £40 plus £2.50 admin cost. The parcel has been delivered so they can go whistle. Totally illegal sending invoices with no hard evidence of the “new dimensions” BYE BYE P2G!

17. Alex says:

I have just had a request for ‘overweight’ surcharge from P2G/Hermes.
    I send very few parcels but I think the last but one that I sent also attracted a surcharge for allegedly being over-dimensioned.
    I know how to use a tape measure and usually over estimate on the weight to be on the safe side, so I certainly smell a rat.
    I won’t be use P2G or Hermes again, that’s for sure, and will let them know in no uncertain terms.

18. Nicola says:

They want an extra £49.20+vat for a parcel I declared at 4kgamf they’ve weighed it at just under 10kg!! I’m furious but I don’t know what to do about it

19. Editor says:

Dont pay it is all.

20. Rich says:

Just happened to me with a shipment weighing 2.3kg sent by UPS and booked through P2Go. Over a week after parcel was safely delivered, P2G sent an email requesting additional payment of £4.00 as UPS had informed them parcel weighed 24kg (!!). Still in email correspondence with them but spoke to UPS who categorically denied sending them an overweight demand and parcel was logged in their system as 2.3kg. Obvious scam.

21. anonymous says:

I am in an ongoing dispute with UPSToday – part of Parcel2Go. This issue started happening about 5 months ago – I weigh and measure everything we send and yet these underpayment charges keep coming through – about 20% of what we ship are now being charged underpayments. Its a total scam by Parcel 2 Go / UPS (unsure) – some of the weights they say the parcels are just totally crazy – i have evidenced the item I sold but they ask for the parcel photographs – how can you get them when they have been opened by the customer!

22. Dan says:

Just received an ‘underpayment request’ which baffled me -when we put it on the scales before sending it came in at 3.2kg but the underpayment request says it was 24kg – its a total scam and a really bold one at that! I wont be paying nor using them again.

23. EG says:

Sent about 15 ebay parcels to save a few pence vs Royal Mail recently. Got charged for item they said was 2cm too deep, 4.20 surcharge, I know I measure items before posting to avoid this. How do you prove it as they had delivered item and they know it – trouble is there is incentive for scamming as couriers get paid more for bigger parcels, furthermore as they had delivered it how do you prove it??? In addition, first item arrived smashed – here’s another scam, only when I looked at small print did I realise that NO breakables covered……and I had paid insurance on all parcels, so they had sold me invalid insurance!! Back to Royal Mail for me……………you pay peanuts you get monkeys!

24. Mr D says:

I am having the same problem with UPS today, they sent an underpayment charge of £4.50 for a fishing rod I sent in a tube.
    I always state the tube as 2cm longer than it is and the weight heavier than it is.
    The tube in question was entered as 190cm x 11cm x 11cm and UPS said it was 188cm x 11cm x 13cm! how can a tube be measured differently side to side!
    I know I am correct as all the tubes are the same width and always check the measurements carefully.
    Customer service is non existent and I wont be using UPS today again or Parcel2go.

25. KATHERINE SHAW says:

Used parcel2go for years without any problem, I always over state the weight to be sure and use plastic post bags, thus week I have had two emails claiming wrong sizes given. The first parcel was folded fabric so I thought maybe it’s slipped about during transport and paid up, but then I sent another much smaller parcel in a small size plastic post bag, and I’ve received an email saying the size is twice the size of the bag I used! I’m not paying it as the p2go site states it’s been deleivered!!

26. Nico says:

Well, I totally agree with the complaints. It is not only Parcel2go but also UPStoday which is run by the same people. At one parcel to the US they tried to charge £ 18 extra +vat.
    They said it had been reported by ups … etc. When I went to the UPS deport which was not that far away I found that there was no record whatsoever on their computers of an overweight. It was just a fake.
    I have had overcharge claimes by Parcel2go on the following carriers, MyHermes ( of course) UPS, DPD, Hermes Int.,Landmark, TNT, Asendia and even Parcelforce where I dropped it off at the local post office and where I got a weight receipt of the post office scales.
    It is a scam. They just try it on. Your parcel does not get destroyed. They deliver it irrespective.

I have enough evidence to go to the police fraud section. Next time they try on me that is precisely what will happen. meanwhile we photograph every parcel on the scales and dimensions. It is the only way.

27. Maria Johnson says:

I am sending a jigsaw puzzle to Australia. The weight is just under 2 kg but got a surcharge demand for £37.00 + VAT with the explanation that my parcel weighed 12.39 kg – over 10kg more than the actual parcel!!!!!!!!! I filled in a form disputing the weight and their reply was

“Unfortunately the weight confirmed by Landmark is in fact volumetric and to calculate this the courier uses the dimensions of your Parcel”

P2G suggest that I ask the recipient to photograph it upon receipt with a tape measure next to it. I am very reluctant to do this as the customer will think me unprofessional. I have sent an email asking them to prove to me that I was wrong. I am determined to keep fighting.

28. Dick Turpin says:

These jokers need stopping now!!! Ppl need to start contacting trading standards to get them investigated this is totally illegal and there lies are beyond. If you still use them attatch photographic evidence to the parcel and keep a duplicate yourself and state this on the parcel to cover yourself .

29. Pete B says:

Received the same: Thank you for booking with us and using MyHermes to send your parcel.
    Unfortunately, MyHermes have informed us that your parcel measured more than was declared when it was booked on our website. The parcel was declared as “Small” – however, the actual dimensions exceed the maximum for the MyHermes Small service ( 45 X 35 X 16 cm).
    MyHermes have measured your parcel as 52 X 19 X 8 cm
    Since your parcel is in fact larger than these maximum restrictions, your parcel falls into the “Medium” pricing bracket
    We understand that mistakes can be made, and that’s why we operate tolerances to allow for small mistakes. However, due to the size of this particular discrepancy, MyHermes have issued an additional charge for this misdeclaration.
    Please also note that due to the increased cost in processing misdeclarations, which include identifying and weighing the parcel, an additional handling charge of £2.50 is included in the underpayment total.
    The total underpayment due is £3.40 + VAT. You can pay this charge now via the link below or find it in your basket and pay it the next time you check out with us.

30. Jarek says:

Just received email from Parcel2Go, my parcel has been wider by 1cm only. 42.50£ to pay. I will never use them, bye bye

31. IT HAPPENS TO US CONSISTENTLY, INTERESTINGLY TODAY, PARCEL2GO INSTIGATED A NEW ONE, DPD THIS TIME, WHICH IS LAUGHABLE.

OUR PRODUCT WAS A MICROCHIP, WITH PACKAGING IT WOULD VE TO BE ON STEROIDS TO GET TO 1KG YET THEY CLAIM 2.5KG, UNBELIEVABLE.

SUCH A MASSIVE SCAM, THEY MUST MAKE HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS DOING THIS ACROSS THE BOARD.

HOW DO WE STOP THEM?

32. Allie says:

I received one of these “underpaid” emails today. I almost paid it, but alarm bells started to ring and I decided to dig around first. Glad I did. Based on the comments above, it looks like P2G are operating a massive scam and, as already suggested, should be reported to Trading Standards or whatever they call themselves these days. There certainly seems to be enough evidence. I won’t be using them again.

33. chris Rawlings says:

Yes!!!!Yes!!!!! Have I had problems like this. I once weighed my parcel on a baby scale at work in the NHS (It has to be accurate and is calibrated every week or so), I’ve had lots of parcels overweight over the years (when they were not) so now i photograph each parcel on the scale and photograph the measurement too. One day, with lots of evidence I will take them to Court… One receiver said the parcel was wet (which may have added weight, and then misshapen (probably due to being under a ton of other parcels. I have also been shown a photograph of the house to prove the item was delivered (It was the wrong house), then one occasion the expensive delivery was made to a farm in winter (they said at 8pm) the owners said there is no way it could have been delivered then because their farm is surrounded by guard dogs at night. I have had my problems over the years.I like the good old Post Office, they are great even if dearer.

34. mike says:

It does happen with parcels right on the limit, but very recently I have posted small parcel 380 grams with myHermes (I sent up to 20 exactly like this every day), received email from Hermes saying it was overweigh, and found to be 2.4 kg parcel. Two days later another parcel, exactly the same, was found to weight 3.9 kg!!!. They must have some issue with scales or making this up. Right now looking for another carrier , it costs too much to post with myHermes, you save on postage price but amount of parcels not delivered, lost, claimed as delivered but never received by customers, will set your savings back and in long run it costs more 🙁

35. Lisa says:

Myhermes have contacted me saying I owe them for 45 unpaid invoices!!! They say it totals £205! I randomly picked a parcel which I booked st under 1kg is weighed just under 350 grand I the jiffy envelope and they say it weighed 2+ kgs’
    What do I do! I don’t want a red mark against my name! I have emailed them my views and told them I’m not paying they have said they do not need to provide evidence and action will be tsken

36. Editor says:

Just ignore them and dont use them again.

37. Lee says:

Dear lee,

Thank you for booking with us and using Landmark to send your parcel.

Unfortunately, Landmark have informed us that your parcel weighed more than was declared when it was booked on our website. The parcel was declared as 0.90kg, however the actual weight is 6.70kg.

Also, due to the increased cost the courier incurs in processing misdeclarations, which include identifying and weighing the parcel, an additional handling charge of £2.50 is included in the underpayment total.

The total underpayment due is £18.15 + VAT. You can pay this charge now via the link below or find it in your basket and pay it the next time you check out with us.

I photograph everything on scales and next to a ruler to see size. It was 879g, not even near 6.7kg. All I can think of is that I have claimed from them recently for loosing a £50 parcel and so now are trying to scrape their money back.

38. rusty says:

If any one bought their hermes postage through parcel2go, and got the underpayment charge email from P2G, ask parcel2go for the photographic evidence of the package that they are acussing you of sending, showing its size and newly gained weight. If like me, you do that, they said, we don’t have any evidence from hermes. Then go to hermes, and contact them by online chat, and ask them for the evidence, using the Hermes long tracking number (not the P2G number) for them to check… and if like me.. they said,, we have never issued an underpayment request for that package. (you do the math… as they say)
    On telling P2G this info from hermes directly, and copy & pasting them the chat from Hermes, they emailed back to say they were launching an internal enquiry whilst also showing me a screencapture of an apparent request from hermes (with P2G branding) for said parcel, and its apparent new weight, but absolutely no evidence whatsoever still to substantiate their over weighing, in my case, of 1 x vinyl record in cardboard envelope.. 750grams.. at the very most, which had miraculously gained weight to become a monster record of 5.35kgs.
    I am now trying to get the funds back from my prepay Parcel 2 Go account, as i will never use P2G again, as they appear to blatantly scam theirs and hermes customers.