The Range Rover L322 2010 TDV8 4.4 is known for this water leak fault.
I was out this evening and a radiator hose four way branch coupling on top of the engine inexplicably broke and water was everywhere.
The dashboard lit up like a Christmas Tree, not charging, restricted performance, coolant low, etc.
On opening the bonnet the culprit was easily visible right on top.
It took frequent stops and 9 litres of water to get the 10 miles home.
Of course you can’t buy the coupling on its own. It comes with the surrounding hoses only and costs about £80 (part number LR029140 seems to be it).
I’m not liking the idea of £80 to replace a tiny bit of snapped plastic. I think I’ll repair it. here’s how I did that.
As I have a couple of stents I reckon a stent would work. The joint doesn’t seem under a great deal of pressure, so I’m hopeful it will last.
Here’s the broken bit:
I cleaned it out a tad by hand with a drill bit to get the bits of smeg out and key inside the holes.
Here is a small piece of brake pipe which is the perfect size as a stent. Clean it up with a file or a bit of sandpaper so it will key and chamfer the ends a tad.
Clean the insides of the pipes and the break area up with meths or similar and a cotton bud. Dry it off with a hairdryer so its bone dry and also the plastic will expand a tad.
Araldite one half of your stent up and twist it in with long nose pliers. Araldite the other side of your stent up now.
Hold it in place with the long nose pliers while you offer the pipe up to it so you know the stent is about 50/50 in each side, then slide it nicely home as you remove the long noses.
Looks alright to me and no £80 going on. Takes less than ten minutes.
Feel free to comment below if you have a better way or like this DIY repair guide.